At Southerns our Actions Against the Police Solicitors are on hand to provide advice and help you issues a claim against the police. We understand that there are many ways in which the police can abuse their power. For a discussion about your claim, please call us on on 01282 422711 or alternatively email and we’ll call you back.

When Can I Make A Claim Against The Police?

There are strict time limits in which you can bring a claim.

  • Claims for False Imprisonment & Wrongful Arrest – 6 years
  • Claim for Personal Injury – 3 Years
  • Complaint Against the Police – 1 year
  • Discrimination Claims – 6 months

In some situations there are exceptions to the above time limits, including claims on behalf of children and claims on behalf of someone who lacks capacity to make their own claim.

Due to the strict time limits, it is in your best interests to seek early legal advice. Please contact us for a no obligation, initial discussion about your circumstances.

Types of Claims:
  • Assault and battery
  • Detention for longer than is legal
  • Discrimination
  • Excessive force
  • Human Rights breach
  • Malicious prosecution
  • Misfeasance in public office
  • Negligence
  • Taser gun injury claim
  • Trespass
  • Unlawful strip search
  • Wrongful arrest / False imprisonment
What is the process to make a complaint?

The process can often be complex which is why our team are on hand to help. Speak to our team today to discuss whether you have a case and if so, how we can help.

Police officers are bound to a set Code of Conduct which they have to uphold. If you want to lodge a formal complaint against the police, then we will help you take it forward.

We understand which formal grounds of complaint are relevant to your circumstances and can also help with any appeals to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

Funding & Fees

Public funding (Legal Aid) is available to bring a claim against the police in some circumstances. We can discuss whether you are eligible for Legal Aid and If you are ineligible, we can discuss acting on a no win no fee basis.

Why Choose Southerns

At Southerns Solicitors we understand that bringing an action against the police can be a stressful situation. Our specialist team has extensive knowledge when it comes to determining the merits of your case and how to issue a complaint. We will explain your options and where appropriate, advise you on the next steps to take.

Contact us

For advice about bringing an action against the police, please call us on 01282 422711 or alternatively email and we’ll call you back.

We can assist wherever you are based, but we also have offices in Burnley, Blackburn, Blackpool, Cheadle and Sutton Coldfield.