One of Lancashire’s oldest established firms, we have been providing legal services to the people and businesses of Lancashire and beyond since 1792.
The firm was established by the Shaw family and three generations later, partner Richard Shaw became Burnley’s first MP in 1868. Originally Southern, Jobling and Ashworth, the firm has evolved and prospered through many changes, merging with Cooper, Smith and Williams Solicitors in 1994 to form Southern Cooper and Partners and later with Currie and Sons of Burnley, followed by Nelson and Colne based Whittle and Whittaker Solicitors in 1999 to form Southerns Solicitors.
Our head office was based at Mackenzie House, Bank Parade in Burnley from 1958 until 2018 and is now at Cooper House on Hargreaves Street in Burnley (town centre), Blackpool, Wythenshaw (Manchester Airport) Cheadle and office facilities in Blackburn, Chorley, Maghull, Warrington and York allowing us to provide services throughout the North West. We recognise the importance of growth and development and have ensured, through the recruitment of both graduate and experienced lawyers, that we have advanced and expanded the range of services that we can offer.
The firm has endured many changes in the legal profession and looked to be leaders in the profession. Miss. Muriel Jobling MBE was the first female president of the Burnley Law Society and who was one of the founding trustees of Pendleside Hospice.
In 2017, the firm commenced trading as Southerns Solicitors Limited (ABS) having taken on outside investment. Southerns however completed a share buy back in May 2019 and is again fully owned by lawyers. In August 2019, Southerns dropped the alternative business structure (ABS) but remains Southerns Solicitors Limited.
We continue to strive to expand when the correct opportunity arises but that is not history … yet.